Friday, January 2, 2009

Postponed holiday

   New Year's Day is my favorite holiday.  For me, it's a day for quiet and introspection.  I have only one set ritual which is to write a year-end review in my journal.  I go through my calendar for the previous year, write out the significant days (travels, plays and concerts, special dinners, celebrations or funerals), and then think about what seemed to occupy my thoughts the most during the year.  The entry ends with a paragraph or two about what I look forward or expect to happen to in the new year, and a short list of resolutions. 
    This year, New Year's Day was pretty much preempted when Mom had another choking episode and had to go to the emergency room.  I spent the afternoon sitting with her in the bleak, curtained-off hospital room, and then sitting with her in her apartment until she went to bed.   No doubt this is a foreshadowing of some of what 2009 will be about.
   So today, Jan. 2 has turned into my holiday.  I'll turn to my journal sometime today or tonight.  I've taken down the old calendars and put up the new ones.  I'm starting this blog as one of my resolutions.  The house is perfectly quiet, and I'm thoroughly enjoying this ever-so-small little day of beginnings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment